A Nespresso machine is usually preprogrammed for the different volumes of coffee that it can make. The factory preset volumes for the Nespresso OriginalLine are 1.35oz espresso and 5oz lungo. Nespresso Prodigio also has a ristretto size that is preset to 0.5oz.
The preset volumes for the VertuoLine machines are 1.35oz espresso, 2.7oz double espresso, 5oz gran lungo, 7.8oz mug, and 14oz for the alto size.
For various reasons, you may want to increase or reduce the volume of the coffee that you get from your Nespresso machine. Reducing the coffee volume that you get from a capsule, increases the intensity of the coffee and vice versa.
You can reset your machine or program it afresh at any point in time if your preferred volumes have changed. Note that when you reset a Nespresso machine all your custom settings disappear.
Key Points to Remember when Programming a Nespresso Machine
- Ensure that the machine has enough water in the reservoir before programming
- Use the right capsule for the machine
- Each cup volume is programmed separately so if you want to custom-tailor all the available sizes, you have to repeat the process for each cup size
Let’s look at how to program the cup size in different types of Nespresso machines and how to reset a Nespresso machine to factory settings.
How to Program Nespresso Pixie
- Switch the Pixie machine on and wait for the lights to steady. This machine has an ON/OFF button that is adjacent to the two cup buttons
- Insert a capsule and close the lever
- Place a mug under the coffee outlet
- Press and hold the espresso or lungo button to program it. The machine starts dispensing coffee
- Release the button when the desired volume of coffee is dispensed. Repeat the process to program the other button.
- If you are still not happy with the volume, repeat the process.
How to Reset Nespresso Pixie to Factory Settings
- Turn the machine off
- With the machine off, hold down the lungo button for five seconds. The cup buttons will start blinking
- Release the lungo button and wait for the lights to stop blinking. Your Nespresso Pixie is now factory reset
How to Program Nespresso Prodigio Cup Sizes
Nespresso Prodigio has three buttons for cup sizes: ristretto, espresso, and lungo. You can press any of these buttons to turn the machine on. It also has a slider instead of the lever that is common in the other machines to open the capsule holder.
You can program Nespesso Prodigio from 15-30ml for a ristretto, 30-70ml espresso, 70-130ml for a lungo. You do not have to measure the volume, you can simply eyeball it to your preference.
- Press any cup size button to turn the machine on. The lights will blink and become steady when the machine is ready
- Insert a capsule and close the slider
- Hold down the cup button that you want to program. Wait for the coffee to start dispensing
- Release the button when the dispensed coffee volume meets your desire
- Repeat to program the other cup sizes
How to Reset Nespresso Prodigio
- Turn the machine off
- Press the lungo button for five seconds until all the buttons start blinking
- The Prodigio is now factory reset
How to Program the Cup Sizes in Nespresso Inissia, CitiZ, and Essenza
Nespresso Inissia, CitiZ, and Essenza have similar buttons so they follow an identical programming process.
- Press the espresso or lungo button to on the machine.
- Place a mug under the on the cup holder
- Insert a capsule
- Hold down the button that you want to program and the machine will start dispensing coffee
- Release the button when the desired coffee volume is dispensed
- Repeat to program the other button
See the Citiz review here.
How to Factory Reset Nespresso Inissia, CitiZ, and Essenza
- Ensure the machine is off
- Press and hold down the lungo button for five seconds until both buttons start blinking. The machine has been reset when the buttons stop blinking
- Insert a capsule and press any of the two buttons to make coffee using the reset nespresso machine
Nespresso Latissima One Cup Size Programming
Nespresso Latissima One has three buttons: espresso, lungo, and milk and two extra lights: descaling and clean.
- Place a cup under the nozzle
- Press espresso or lungo button to switch the machine on. The machine is ready when the lights are steady
- Insert a coffee pod into the machine
- Press and hold the cup button that you intend to program. The button will start blinking and the machine will start making coffee
- Release the button when your choice volume of coffee is made. The cup size has been programmed
How to Reset Nespresso Latissima One
- Turn the machine on using the lungo or espresso button
- Press the milk button for 3 seconds to activate the menu mode. The clean and descaling lights will start blinking
- Press the milk button and it will start blinking to indicate reset mode
- Press the milk button again to confirm. The three buttons will blink three times to show they have been reset. The machine is now reset to factory settings and you can make your coffee or program it afresh
Nespresso Vertuo and VertuoPlus Cup Size Programming
- Place a mug under the machine
- Press the lever upwards and insert a dome-shape capsule whose volume you want to program.
- Close the head by gently pushing the lever down. The machine will auto-detect the type of capsule
- Press and hold the cup button to start making coffee
- Release the button when the coffee volume matches your preference. The machine is now programmed for that capsule
How to Reset Nespresso Vertuo and VertuoPlus
- With the head in the closed position, push the lever down for three seconds to turn the machine off
- Push the cup button and the lever simultaneously for three seconds. The cup button will start blinking with an orange light to indicate it’s ready to factory reset
- Press the lever down three times and push the cup button to confirm
- The buttom will blink orange three times and will then illuminate in a steady green light. The machine has succesfully been factory reset.
How to Program Nespresso Vertuo Next and Vertuo Next Deluxe Cup Sizes
These two machines have a lock system as they do not use a lever to open the head. Instead, you turn the head clockwise to lock and anticlockwise to open it.
- Place a cup on the holder
- Open the head and drop your choice of capsule in the machine for programming
- Close and lock the head. The cup button will start blinking as the machine gets ready
- When the button is steady, press it down and coffee will start dispensing
- Release the button when your preferred volume is made. From now, the machine will automatically dispense the same volume of coffee when you insert a similar capsule.
How to Reset Nespresso Vertuo Next and Vertuo Next Deluxe
- Open the machine’s head to release any capsule that is in there
- Lower the handle and do not lock it. Press the coffee button five times continuously within 3 seconds
- The button will blink with an orange light and then steady to a white light. You have successfully reset the machine.
FAQ about Nespresso Cup Size Programming
Nespresso Vertuo Cup Size
The default cup sizes for Nespresso Vertuo are 40ml espresso, 80ml double espresso, 150ml gran lungo, 230ml coffee mug, and 414ml alto. However, you can program a Nespresso Vertuo or VertuoLine machine to make between 20ml espresso and 500ml alto which are the smallest and the largest sizes respectively.