One of the considerations when buying a portable coffee maker is whether the coffee maker heats the water.
A portable coffee maker that heats water will either use a removable battery, a car battery, or electricity to heat up water and make coffee.
Here are the eight best portable coffee makers that heat up water.
CONQUECO Portable Espresso Maker
- Heats up the water
- Lightweight at 1.94 pounds
- Chargeable with both electricity and car battery
- Automatic pump
- Food grade 200ml plastic cup
- Only compatible with original Nespresso pods
- Ground coffee will not work
- Takes up to 12 minutes to make coffee when using cold water
CONQUECO Portable Espresso Maker is a dandle coffee maker that makes great espresso-style coffee. It comes with a lithium-ion battery and two chargers: a 12V 7A car charger and a 12V 2A electrical charger.
It is easy to use and you can use both hot and cold water. This espresso maker has an auto-pump so you just insert a coffee pod and add water and press the ON button. When using cold water, CONQUECO Portable Espresso Maker will heat it up and make coffee in 8-12 minutes.
A fully charged battery will give make three shots of hot coffee with cold water. You may want to use hot water to make more than three shots of coffee with a full battery. Each shot is about 45ml.
You should not use this espresso maker when charging with a wall charger. It takes about 2.5 hours to charge it to full capacity. However, you can make coffee when charging with a car charger.
CONQUECO Portable Espresso Maker fits in the bottle holder of your backpack and weighs only 1.94 pounds.
HiBREW Portable 3-in-1 Espresso Maker
- Heats water
- Uses ground coffee and specific capsules
- Lightweight at 1.32 pounds (600 grams)
- Powered with a car cigarette adaptor, AC adaptor, and USB charger
- No rechargeable battery
- Does not heat water with the USB charger
The 3-in-1 HiBREW electric espresso maker is compatible with ground coffee, Dolce gusto pods, and the classic Nespresso capsules. It is fully automatic as it heats up the water and pumps the coffee for you. It makes decent barista-style coffee.
It comes with a food-safe cup, adaptors for ground coffee, Dolce Gusto, and Nespresso pods. It also comes with 3 chargers: USB, car cigarette adaptor, and AC adaptor for home use.
To make coffee, the HiBREW 3-in-1 espresso maker must be connected to a power source through any of the three chargers. It brews in 5-8 minutes with cold water.
The premium version comes with a carry-bag that fits the coffee maker and all its components. Both the premium and classic models have similar functionalities and performance.
This coffee maker is easy to use although some users have complained that it does not brew at over 3000 feet. So if you are living at a very high altitude, you may want to go for a different portable coffee maker that can heat water.
See how the HiBREW 3-in-1 espresso maker works here.
Imons Automatic Mini Car Drip Coffee Machine
- Heats water
- Uses K-Cups and ground coffee
- Insulated stainless steel cup
- Uses both a car cable and wall adapter
- You can get hot water without making coffee
- Wall adapter (12V 7A) not included
- Not rechargeable
- Brews in up to 12-15 minutes with cold water
Imons portable drip coffee maker can dispense hot water like a regular drip coffee maker. It requires to be connected to either a car battery or electricity for it to brew coffee.
It comes with a mesh filter for ground coffee and you can also brew with Keurig K-Cups. You can also place a teabag in the mesh filter to brew tea.
The water tank’s capacity is 4.7oz and the stainless steel cup is food safe and double-walled to retain heat. You can use Imons portable coffee maker when driving and enjoy your coffee on the drive.
It is also a dandy coffee maker for camping and job sites.
Chefman InstaCoffee Max
- Heats water
- Narrow design for portability and saving space
- Fast brew (as fast as 30 seconds after pressing the brew button)
- Uses K-Cups and ground coffee
- Includes a free reusable filter
- Light (2.97 pounds)
- Fits a 7″ cup (most 16oz mugs will fit)
- The reusable filter fits up to 3.5 tablespoons of ground coffee
- Self-clean function
- It’s a bit noisier than other coffee makers of the same size such as the K-Mini Plus
The Chefman InstaCoffee Max single-serve coffee maker is a slim machine that is portable and easy to use. It comes with a reusable coffee filter basket for ground coffee and is compatible with K-Cups.
Its fast brew technology makes coffee in as fast as 30 minutes depending on the coffee volume that you are brewing. The water reservoir has a maximum capacity of 14oz. It’s easy to use and clean.
To use a K-Cup, insert the pod in the coffee maker and push it down so that the lid can close and the K-Cup does not stick out of the holder.
This coffee maker is also compatible with regular reusable single-serve filters. So if the mesh filter that comes with it gets damaged, you can replace it with a regular one. Although a regular reusable filter looks a bit taller, it fits in this coffee maker.
It uses 950 watts at 120 volts to make coffee.
Keurig Mini Plus
- Strong brew option
- Auto-off feature
- Can use ground coffee and K-Cups
- Removable tank
- Pod and power cord storage
- Relatively heavy at 4.6 lbs
Keurig is a market leader for homebrewers and the Keurig Mini Plus is one of the most popular portable coffee makers. Its small footprint and ability to make great coffee make it the best brewer among the smallest Keurig coffee makers. This single-cup brewer is easy to use and has a strength control button for bold coffee.
The K-Mini Plus is preset to shut off nine seconds after brewing to save energy. The water tank can hold up to 12 oz but you do not have to fill it all the time. You can add water between 6-12 ounces. It brews all the water in the reservoir so a brew cycle is between 6-12 oz.
If you are using unfiltered water, you may want to read this article about how to locate the water filter in Keurig.
The K-mini plus takes about 3 minutes to brew a hot cup of coffee. See this guide if you want to get hot water only from a Keurig K-mini plus or any other Keurig brewer.
You can fit a 7″ travel mug when you remove the drip tray. The water tank is also removable for cleaning and refilling.
Keurig Mini Plus has a stable 4.5-inch base and is 12.1 inches tall when the lever is closed and 16.8″ when open. It uses.
It has a pocket on its hind part to store the power cord when traveling. It also comes with a storage compartment that fits 9 K-Cups. This compartment slides on top of the drip tray so you are able to carry both the brewer and the pods in one unit.
The K-Mini Plus is easy to clean and you can drain its internal tank by holding down the brew (K) button.
Keurig Mini Plus is compatible with My K-Cup reusable filter but you have to remove the original K-Cup holder in the brewer for the reusable filter and its adapter to fit in.
Most people tend to encounter problems when trying to use the My K-Cup filter because they do not remove the holder assembly that comes with the brewer.
Sboly Single Serve Coffee Maker + Tumbler
- Lightweight at 2.53 lbs
- Includes a 16oz thermal cup
- Auto-clean button
- Uses K-Cups and regular ground coffee
- Brews in 3 minutes
- Can make 8,10,12, and 14 cup sizes
- No strong brew button
- You may have to puncture multiple holes on a K-Cup to prevent overflow
Sboly single-serve coffee maker plus tumbler is compact and lightweight. It includes a 16oz coffee tumbler that keeps coffee hot for up to 6 hours. You can also use the tumbler for cold coffee.
It also comes with a mesh filter with a lid to prevent ground coffee from getting into your cup. It has a separate adapter for K-Cups. There are also separate buttons for brewing with a coffee pod and ground coffee.
You can make up to 14 oz per brew cycle. Although this coffee maker has no strong brew feature, you can brew a smaller cup for more intensity.
The self-clean capability makes for easy cleaning. Simply add vinegar to the water tank and press the Capsule and Ground buttons simultaneously to commence auto cleaning.
MobiBrewer Portable Coffee Maker
- Heats water
- Doubles as a travel mug to keep the coffee hot after brewing
- Compatible with ground coffee and K-Cups
- Includes a 12V car adapter
- Has a slot for AAA batteries to make coffee with hot water
- Its wall adapter is sold separately
- Brews 6 oz in 10 minutes
MobiBrew portable drip coffee maker heats cold water when powered through a car adapter that is included in the package. You also buy a separate wall adapter.
The water tank holds six ounces of water. You can brew coffee using a K-Cup or ground coffee. This brewer comes with a reusable ground coffee filter.
For a fully automatic experience, you can use two AAA batteries in the brewer to make coffee but you have to add hot water to the MobiBrew.
This coffee maker is easy to use and clean.
See how it works here
Makita Battery-Powered Coffee Maker
Imagine having a coffee maker that uses the battery of your drill. Makita battery coffee maker uses rechargeable CXT and LXT lithium-ion batteries to heat water and makes single cups in under four minutes. See our Makita coffee maker review here.
Things to Consider When Buying a Portable Coffee Maker that Heats Water
- The type of power that the coffee maker uses. Some portable coffee makers are only compatible with electricity and can not be powered using your car battery. Similarly, some car battery-powered coffee makers do not have a separate adapter for electricity. Therefore, you may want to sift through the available coffee makers to select the right one for you.
- Rechargeability. Some portable coffee makers use batteries such that you recharge the coffee maker and brew coffee until the battery runs out of charge.
- Size and Weight. A portable coffee maker should be compact and lightweight. Anything above five pounds may be too heavy to carry around, especially when backpacking. It should have a small footprint to fit in tiny spaces
- Type of coffee. Choose a portable coffee maker that brews your favorite type of coffee such as drip or espresso-style. A coffee maker that uses both coffee pods and ground coffee gives you more flexibility when brewing coffee.
- Brewing time. Portable coffee makers that use car adapters are notorious for longer brewing times. If you have access to electricity, consider using a coffee maker that has a wall adapter.
- Cleaning. It should be easy to clean on the go.