Nespresso milk frothers are stand-alone accessories that make both hot and cold foam for coffee and non-coffee preparations. There are two types of Nespresso milk frothers: Aeroccino and barista frother.
The Aeroccino is by far the most preferred Nespresso frother as it is relatively cheaper than the barista frother. You can buy a Nespresso milk frother as a bundle with a Nespresso machine or on its own and pair it with your preferred coffee machine.
There are three types of Aeroccino: Aeroccino 3, Aeroccino 4, and Plus. Aeroccinos heat milk to between 160 and 170°F. The Aeroccino Plus has been discontinued but is still available in specific stores.
6 Main Differences Between Aeroccino 3 and Aeroccino 4
The first Aeroccino was the Plus which was later upstaged by the Aeroccino 3. The Aeroccino 4 has been around for several years and there are various reasons for the hype around it.
Here are the main differences between Aeroccino 3 and 4
Aeroccino 4 has an ergonomic handle and is spouted for easier pouring. You are able to pour the precise amount of milk that you desire without spilling.
Although Aeroccino3 has no handle, the plastic exterior protects your hands from burning when pouring the hot froth.
Aeroccino 4 has four buttons for the different types of foam: cold foam, hot milk without foam, hot airy foam, and hot dense froth button. Aeroccino3, on the other hand, has only one button which controls the heating element. The type of froth is controlled using the fill lines and removing the wire spring.
The Aeroccino 4 pitcher, lid, and whisk are safe to go in the dishwasher so long as the dishwasher temperature does not go beyond 70 degrees Celcius. Aeroccino 3 should never go in the dishwasher.
The exterior of the Aeroccino 4 is stainless steel and the non-stick inner walls are coated with ceramic whereas the exterior of the Aeroccino 3 is plastic and the non-stick interior is coated with Teflon.
The pitchers are nearly similar in size but the power base of the Aeroccino 4 is wider and has a diameter of 7.8 inches.
The magnet that holds the whisk in Aeroccino 4 to the bottom of the pitcher works only when the pitcher is on the power base. Therefore, you need to hold the whisk in Aeroccino 4 when pouring milk to prevent it from falling off.
This problem is not present in the Aeroccino 3 as the whisk remains magnetically stuck to the base even when the pitcher is removed from the power base.
Aeroccino 4 is much easier to operate as there is a specific button for every type of milk preparation that it can make. Aeroccino 3, on the other hand, involves some out-of-the-box tricks for some milk preparations. For example, removing the metallic spring to make hot milk.
Features and Specifications
- Auto shut off feature
- Nonstick interior
- Ergonomic handle
- The jug has a pouring spout
- Dishwasher safe jug and its components
- 4 separate buttons for milk preparation
- Lightweight at 2.3 pounds
- Compact at 7.08 x 7.08 x 8.26 inches
- Fits a maximum of 240ml when heating milk without frothing and 120ml when foaming milk
The Aeroccino 4 is an upgrade to the Aeroccino 3 in various aspects. Apart from the handle and the spout that ease pouring, the Aeroccino 4 has a hot milk button so you do not need to remove the whisk to heat milk as is the case with the Aeroccino 3.
It’s also easy to clean as you can wash the pitcher, whisk, and lid in the dishwasher. If you are not a fan of plastic, the Aeroccino 4 is an excellent choice as the pitcher is made from stainless steel with a non-stick ceramic-coated interior.
Nespresso Aeroccino 3 Milk Frother Review
Features and Specifications
- 1 whisk with a stem and a removable wire spring
- Auto shut off function
- One button control interface
- Plastic exterior
- Nonstick Teflon-coated interior
- Non foamed milk capacity is 240ml. Milk capacity for frothing is 120ml
- Rated 550 watts
- Makes both hot and cold froth
- Weighs 1.9 pounds
- Measures 3.9 x 3.9 x 7.2 inches;
This compact Nespresso milk frother has a single button for selecting a cold or hot froth.
Like the Aeroccino 4, the Aeroccino 3 has two fill lines: the bottom fill line generates more foam that is suitable for a cappuccino. The upper line creates less foam for lattes.
Earlier versions of the Aeroccino 3 came with two whisks: one with a wire coil for a dense froth and the other with a metallic ring for use when heating milk without foaming.
The new models of the Aeroccino 3 come with one whisk that has a plastic stem, a metallic ring around the middle, and a removable wire coil at the bottom. The pitcher has a magnetic knob where the whisk goes.
To avoid losing the wire coil, hook it on the underside of the lid.
- You need to remove the wire coil from the whisk to heat milk without frothing
- The lack of a spout can cause spillage when pouring the milk
Features and Specifications
- Has one button
- Stainless steel pitcher with a nonstick interior
- A glossy finish
- A sturdy handle to ease pouring
- Comes with two separate whisks but is also compatible with the Aeroccino 3 single whisk
- Not dishwasher safe
- Rated 120V
- Makes both hot and cold foam
- Dimensions 4.1 x 4.1 x 6.7 inches
- Weight 2.65 lbs
Despite being phased out, Aeroccino Plus milk frother is still available in certain online and offline stores. It is similar to the Aeroccino 3 in terms of functionality and the type of foam that it makes.
Aeroccino Plus comes with a wire whisk that foams milk and a paddle whisk that mixes the milk during heating.
The main drawback to the Aeroccino Plus is that the pitcher has a small mouth and it can be difficult to insert and remove the whisk. Some of the whisks do not have a pull stem which complicates removing and popping the whisk back.
Nespresso Barista Frother Review
What I Like about Nespresso Barista Frother
- It is capable of making over 20 recipes. Unlike most frothers, it can froth a combination of milk and add-ons such as chocolate pieces and coffee.
- It has an exquisite and posh design and a sleek finish.
- It uses an LED display for the froth selection
- Like most frothers, the Nespresso barista uses a nonstick stainless steel jug
- The magnetic whisk has a long stem for easy retrieval
- The stem also has three markings for the lines of fill: minimum, medium, and maximum level
- The barista frother is compact and lightweight. You can pair it with a compact Nespresso for your excursions.
- The handle makes it easy to retrieve the jug from the cup-shaped power base
- Makes great froth with the right type and amount of milk
- You can pair a barista frother to your mobile device to access the recipes application. This allows you to add or remove froth settings from the barista frother.
- It’s very quiet during operation
What I Do not Like about Nespresso Barista
- The lid is not tight on the frother and the milk tends to leak through the lid when you over-fill the jug. You are better off adding milk to a lower than prescribed level when using the barista recipe guide
- Price. Nespresso barista costs North of $200 which is pricey for just a frother. However, it makes for a wonderful gift for a coffee snob for a birthday or a special occasion.
- It takes longer to froth milk than an Aeroccino. It takes over two minutes whereas Aeroccinos take 60-80 seconds to foam milk
Is Nespresso Barista Worth the Price?
Yes, Nespresso barista frother gives the most bang for the buck for people who like to try innumerable recipes. It offers over 20 ways to enjoy your coffee and non-coffee drinks. However, for people who want a simple latte or cappuccino, the barista frother is too costly and you’d be better off with the Aeroccino 4 or 3.