Did you know that in 2020, the global Nespresso sales grew by seven percent to nearly $6.5 billion (CHF 5.9 billion) with the United States emerging as the largest market for Nespresso?
A 2019 study showed that nearly five million people in Great Britain owned a Nespresso machine.
There are over 20 different types of Nespresso machines that are made by different companies. Companies such as Magimix, KitchenAid, DeLonghi, Breville, and Krups license the proprietary technology from Nestle to make the machines.
Nespresso machines fall under two categories: Original Line and Vertuo Line. Nespresso Vertuo Line machines are newer and more technologically advanced.
Nespresso Vertuo vs Original
The chart below summarizes the main differences between Nespresso OriginalLine and VertuoLine.
|Nespresso OriginalLine||Nespresso VertuoLine|
|Has three cup size options from 0.3-6.75oz||Has five cup size options from 0.3-17oz|
|Capsules are of the same size||Capsules come in five different sizes: espresso, double espresso, gran lungo, mug, and alto|
|Third-party capsules are available||No third-party capsules|
|No pod scanning feature so you have to manually select the desired cup size||Auto-detects the pod size by scanning the barcode which is part of the groundbreaking one-touch brewing system|
|Uses 19 bars pump pressure to extract coffee||Uses pre-infusion and centrifusion method for the coffee extraction|
|The pump makes the machine loud during operation||Quieter operation due to the centrifugation technology|
|Nespresso Latissima and Creatista have an inbuilt frother||No inbuilt milk frother|
OriginalLine machines are the best choice for people who like coffee that is similar to what you get in coffee shops: espressos, lattes, and cappuccino. VertuoLine machines, on the other hand, are ideal for people who like to change between espresso and tall coffees as these machines can make up to 17oz of coffee in one cycle.
It is standard for Nespresso machines to heat water pretty fast in under 25 seconds and they come with a movable cup stand to accommodate short and taller mugs. The coffee volume is adjustable for all Nespresso machines and you can also reset it to factory settings.
All Nespresso machines feature an adjustable auto-off feature that shuts down the machine when it’s not used for nine minutes. The timer can be extended to 30 minutes of sitting idle.
Nespresso machines consistently make quality coffee and their convenience trumps the regular espresso machines that require more effort and patience to make better coffee.
See our comprehensive guide on how to use a Nespresso machine.
Why Should You Buy Nespresso VertuoLine
- If you like tall coffee, a VertuoLine machine will serve you well. In fact, the Nespresso Vertuo Next may be slightly superior to the other VertuoLine machines as it can make up to 18oz filter-style coffee. Even the tall Nespresso coffee has foam which gives it a bit of texture
- When you have sufficient space for the machine. Vertuoline machines are generally taller and heavier than some of the original machines. They are less portable and hence suitable for home use as opposed to excursions. However, you can advantage of the VertuoPlus swivel water tank or the ultra-slim Vertuo Next when you are pressed for space.
- To take advantage of the one-touch brewing technology so that you don’t have to fiddle with the controls to select cup sizes. Vertuo machines auto-regulate the amount of water, temperature, and coffee intensity upon scanning the capsule’s barcode
- For techies, the Nespresso Vertuo is a superb choice as you can run it from your mobile or tablet using Bluetooth
Why Choose a Nespresso OriginalLine
- If you like coffee shop-style coffee and espressos
- For automatic milk foaming and pouring, go for the Nespresso Latissima line which comes with an integrated milk frother. These machines foam and pour the milk using a one-touch control
- When you want a compact machine, look no further than the Pixie, Essenza, Inissia, and CitiZ
- When you want a wide selection of Nespresso capsules
Let’s look at the different types of Nespresso machines.
- Five programmable cup sizes
- One-touch brewing technology
- Smart technology for pod auto-detection
- Touch screen interface
- Available in 5 colors: red, matte black, chrome, black, and titan
- 15 seconds heat-up time
- 40oz water tank
- A wide and stable footprint
- Auto shut off
- Retro-modern design
- Has capsule storage that holds 17 capsules
- Takes up more space, especially vertical space, than some classic machines. It measures 10.75 x 14 x 14.5 inches
Nespresso Vertuo by Breville is also available as a bundle with a milk frother. The Vertuo and Vertuo Evoluo Nespresso machines have similar features except for the size of the water tank and the colors.
- Easy to use with one-touch brewing capability
- Uses smart technology to detect the size of pods
- 54oz water tank
- Five cup sizes that are programmable
- 15 seconds rapid heat-up time
- Auto-off feature
- Makes six different coffee sizes including 18oz filter style coffee
- Made from 54 percent recyclable plastic
- 37oz water tank
- Automatically shuts off to save energy
- A slim design at 5.5 inches wide
- Available in cherry red, matte black, and light grey colors
- Bluetooth connectivity
- The capsule storage container holds 8 capsules only
- To open the head, you have to twist the clock which requires a bit of force
The Nespresso Vertuo Next makes six different cup sizes, unlike the other VertuoLine machines that make five sizes. It can make drip coffee style 18oz cup size.
The cup holder can slide up and down to three different positions to accommodate shorter and taller cups. The slim design saves on space so that you can fit more appliances on your countertop.
It has Bluetooth capability so you can control the machine hands-free using a mobile device.
- 40 ounces water tank that can swivel to the side or the back of the machine
- Five programmable cup sizes
- Auto pod size detection
- One-touch brewing system
- Available in matte black, ink black, red, and grey colors
- Motorized closing and opening of the head
- Can hold 10 spent capsules
Nespresso VertuoPlus and VertuoPlus Deluxe are almost identical except for the differences in the water tank capacity and the colors. They were developed to overcome the heating problems associated with the earlier VertuoLine machines.
- One touch smart brewing technology
- Makes five different cup sizes
- 60oz water tank that can go behind the machine or to the side
- Motorized head when opening and closing
- Available in black, titan, and silver colors
- Energy efficient with the auto-off capability
- Heats up in 25 seconds
- Holds 10 spent capsules in the container
Nespresso Pixie Pros
- Compact size that will fit in the smallest spaces
- Long-lasting aluminum and ABS plastic exterior
- Separate espresso and lungo buttons that are easy to use
- 19 bar pressure pump for a flavorful espresso
- A-40%% energy rating
- Adjustable coffee volume
- Foldable mug holder for tall mugs
- Brews only small cups up to 6.75oz
- Small 24oz capacity water reservoir
At just 4.4 x 9.3 x 12.8 inches, Nespresso Pixie will not take up much space and you can use it on a boat or a motor home. It weighs 6.6 pounds and uses an 1160 watts power input.
- Compact size at 4.7 x 9 x 12.6 inches
- Lightweight at 5.29 lb
- Available with a milk frother
- Generates pressure up to 19 bars
- Preheating takes 25 seconds
- Programmable espresso and lungo sizes
- Energy efficient
- Small 24oz water tank
- Plastic exterior
Nespresso Inissia is available alone and Nespresso Inissia with the Aeroccino milk frother for a few extra bucks.
- Small footprint and lightweight: 4.3 x 12.8 x 8.1 inches and 4.35 lbs pounds respectively
- Fast heating and coffee making
- Adjustable cup sizes
- Energy efficient
- Small water tank (20.3oz capacity)
- Has a plastic construction
Nespresso Essenza Mini is the smallest Nespresso machine and the lightest at only 4.35 pounds. It’s portable for excursions and like the other Nespresso machines, Essenza mini makes quality espresso.
You can pair this machine with the Aeroccino for amazing lattes.
- Retro-modern design
- A relatively large 34oz water tank
- Includes the Aeroccino 3 milk frother
- Fast heat-up capability takes 25 seconds only
- Programmable lungo and espresso sizes
- Available in white without the milk frother
- 19 bar pressure pump
- At 8.90 lbs, it weighs relatively more than most of the other original line machines
See a detailed Nespresso CitiZ review here.
- One touch milk frothing and pouring system
- Programmable coffee and milk frothing buttons
- Italian made
- Fast heating and 19 bar pressure pump
- Makes rich foam that lasts long
- Easy to use and clean
- The milk jug can go in the dishwasher
- Auto-rinsing function
- Made from plastic
- Slightly bulky at 6.8 x 12.6 x 10.15 inches
- Takes 40 seconds to heat up for a milk preparation
Nespresso Latissima Touch uses 1400 watts of input power and takes only 25 seconds to heat up for coffee. However, it takes 40 seconds to heat up when making milk coffee.
The water tank capacity is 30.4oz and the milk tank’s capacity is 10.9oz. It is available in three colors: washed black, white, and frosted silver.
Nespresso Latissima Touch uses a buttons interface.
It is similar to Nespresso Latissima Pro and Nespresso Latissima One except for the size, capacity of the tanks, and colors.
- A large 44oz water tank
- 16.9oz milk reservoir
- Auto-rinsing capability
- Auto-detects when the water tank is empty
- 19 bars pump pressure
- The milk jug is dishwasher safe
- Touch screen control system for both coffee and milk
- Weighs 12.6 pounds
- Takes up a lot of space as it measures 10.79 x 7.6 x 13 inches
Nespresso Latissima Pro can hold 16 spent capsules in the capsule container. It has the biggest water tank (44oz) and milk tank (16.9oz) among the Latissima line of Nespresso machines.
- Rapid heat-up system
- 9 one-touch selections for beverages
- A sleek design with both matte and shiny finish
- 19 bar pump pressure
- Programmable auto shut off to save on energy
- Descaling alert
- 33.8oz water tank
- 16.9oz milk tank
- Dishwasher-safe milk pitcher
- Bulky at 17 x 13.9 x 10.3 inches
- Weighs 13.46 pounds