Did you know that you can make coffee with chocolate milk instead of using plain milk and chocolate syrup separately? Adding chocolate milk to coffee is akin to killing two birds with one stone. With chocolate milk, you do not have to stock chocolate sauce and milk separately.
Another advantage is that chocolate milk is usually fortified with Vitamins A & D.
Some coffee shops use chocolate milk to make mocha coffee drinks. For example, Dutch Bros uses chocolate milk in its mocha drinks.
Other home uses for chocolate milk include making hot chocolate, chocolate pops, cupcakes, chocolate cookies, smoothies, and chocolate milk pancakes.
Like other milk choices, when buying chocolate milk, you may want to go for a low-fat option as it has fewer calories and a lower fat content than whole milk.
This article ranks the best brands of low fat chocolate milk.
Best Low-Fat Chocolate Milk
We have ranked the best low-fat chocolate milk brands from the least favorite to the best brand. The downside to low-fat chocolate milk is that it is less creamy than whole chocolate milk.
When buying chocolate milk, consider the depth of the chocolate flavor, carb content, and any noticeable off-flavors.
You can also take into account its shelf stability and the packaging. For powdered chocolate milk, also check how mixes with water.
Most chocolate milk options are sweetened so if you are your are diabetic be sure to check the ingredients before buying.
7. Nesquik 1% Low Fat Chocolate Milk
The Nesquik brand is owned by Nestle, which is one of the biggest food companies in the world. Nesquik low fat chocolate milk is made with real cow milk.
Nutrition per 8 oz cup: calories 140, carbs 23 g, total sugar 21 g, protein 8g, total fat 2.5 g, vitamin D 2.5 mcg, and vitamin A 150 mcg.
The ingredients in Nesquik low-fat chocolate milk include lowfat milk, less than 2% cocoa processed with alkali, cellulose gel, sugar calcium carbonate, natural and artificial flavor, salt, carrageenan, cellulose gum, gellan gum, Vitamin D3, and Vitamin A Palmitate.
- Comes in a resealable bottle
- Shelf-stable before opening. Requires refrigeration after opening
- Made with real low-fat milk
- It is fortified with vitamins A and D
- It is gluten-free
- It is ready-to-drink and excellent for traveling and hiking
- Has no high-fructose corn syrup
- It has a bland taste
6. Whole Foods 365 Low-Fat Chocolate Milk
Nutrition per 8 oz cup: calories 150 calories, carbohydrates 26 grams, total fat 2.5 grams, protein 8 grams.
The ingredients in Whole Foods 365 low-fat chocolate milk include low-fat milk, cane sugar, cocoa processed with alkali, tapioca starch, natural vanilla flavor, carrageenan, vitamin A palmitate, and vitamin D3.
- It has a rich chocolate flavor
- It is fortified with vitamins A and D
- It is shelf stable
- Only available in the Whole Foods market
5. TruMoo Low Fat Chocolate Milk
TruMoo milk is manufactured by Dean Foods which sources milk from regional dairies across the United States.
TruMoo is one of the best milk brands in North America. TruMoo has regular 1% low-fat chocolate milk and a similar high-protein version.
Nutrition per 8 oz cup: calories 130, carbohydrates 19 g (with 18 g of total sugar), protein 8 g, total fat 2.5 g, vitamin A 150 mcg, and vitamin D 2.5 mcg.
The high-protein TruMoo low-fat chocolate milk has 205 calories, 31 g of carbs, and 14 g of protein.
Ingredients: liquid sugar (sugar, water), lowfat milk, less than 1% of cocoa (processed with alkali), cocoa, carrageenan, salt, natural flavor, vitamin D3, and vitamin A palmitate.
- No high-fructose corn syrup
- Has a smooth taste
- The chocolate flavor is mild at best
4. Great Value 1% Low Fat Chocolate Milk
This milk is part of Walmart’s primary retail brand. It comes in two sizes: a half gallon (64 fl oz) and a full gallon (128 fl oz).
Nutrition per 8 oz cup: calories 140, total carbs 21 g, total sugars 18 g, protein 8 g. It also has vitamins A and D.
Its ingredients include low fat milk, sugar, water, cocoa processed with alkali, salt, carrageenan, cornstarch, flavor, vitamin A palmitate, and vitamin D3.
- Comes in an easy-to-pour container
- Has a flavorful chocolate taste
- It is not gluten-free
- Requires refrigeration at all times
3. Horizon Organic 1% Low-Fat Chocolate Milk
This chocolate milk is made by Horizon Organic, North America’s biggest supplier of organic milk. It is sweetened with organic cane sugar and ultra-pasteurized to make it shelf-stable.
Nutrition per 8 oz cup: 150 calories, 23 grams of carbohydrates, 22 grams of total sugars, 8 grams of protein, and 2.5 grams of total fat. It has 2.5 mcg of vitamin D and 150 mcg of vitamin A.
The ingredients include low-fat organic milk, cane sugar (organic), organic cocoa (processed with alkali), gellan gum, organic cocoa, salt, organic natural flavor, vitamin D3, and vitamin A palmitate.
- Made with non-GMO cow milk as no hormones, pesticides, or antibiotics are involved
- USDA-certified organic chocolate milk
- Packaged in single-serve 8 oz boxes that are easy to carry for on-the-go snacking
- Shelf-stable and requires no refrigeration for the unopened boxes
- You can drink it on its own whether cold or hot
- The chocolate flavor is mild. If you prefer a deeper taste of chocolate, this milk does not cut it
2. Morning Moo’s Low Fat Chocolate Milk Powder
This is a chocolate milk powder made from whey. It is fortified with Vitamins A and D. It is gluten-free but not dairy-free. It also contains soy. Each can weighs 2.01 kg and holds 67 servings.
The manufacturer recommends a serving of 3 1/2 tablespoons or 30 grams of powder per cup.
Nutrition per 8 oz cup: 120 calories, carbohydrates 24 grams, total sugar 20 g, total fat 3 g, protein 2 g, vitamin D 2 mcg, and vitamin A 126 mcg.
The ingredients include sugar, creamer (corn syrup solids, coconut oil, dipotassium phosphate, sodium caseinate [from milk], sugar, silicon dioxide, mono and diglycerides, tetrasodium pyrophosphate, polysorbate 80, soy lecithin), nonfat dry milk, whey, dutched cocoa (cocoa [processed with alkali]), cream flavor (natural cream flavor, maltodextrin), non-iodized salt, xanthan gum, carrageenan, cellulose gum, silicon dioxide, vitamin A palmitate, vitamin D3.
- Has a rich chocolate taste
- It is packaged in airtight steel cans that can survive any disaster. The cans float on water
- It’s a great choice for preppers or survivalists
- Has a sturdy lid that is easy to open and replace
- This chocolate milk powder is shelf-stable and can last up to 20 years if not opened
- It lasts 12-18 months after opening
- It is gluten-free
- Mixes well with both cold and hot water and is not gritty
- It is fortified with Vitamins A and D
- You can use it to make sweet chocolate sauce
- Although it has dairy, it is not made with real cow milk
- It is very low in protein
- The cans tend to dent during shipping. Fortunately, this does not impact the quality of the milk
1. FairLife Low Fat Ultra-Filtered Chocolate Milk
Farlife ultra-filtered low fat chocolate milk comes in 14 oz bottles. It is made with dairy milk from family farms and undergoes ultra-filtration to make it lactose-free. It has 25 percent less sugar than regular chocolate milk.
Nutrition per 8 oz cup: calories 126, total carbs 12 grams, total sugar 12 grams, protein 9 g, vitamin D 4 mcg, and vitamin A 171 mcg.
- It has a silky smooth rich chocolate flavor
- Has no artificial flavors
- It is rich in protein. Each 14 oz bottle has 16 grams of protein
- It has fewer carbs than regular low-fat chocolate milk. For example, a cup of Fairlife lowfat ultra-filtered chocolate milk has 12 grams of sugar as compared to about 22 grams of sugar in the other low-fat chocolate milk that we tasted
- It is UHT treated and shelf-stable
- It is gluten-free and lactose-free
- It’s ready-to-drink
- The milk is actually 2% and not 1%. Generally, both 2% and 1% milk are considered low fat although 2% has twice the fats in 1% milk
Low-fat chocolate milk is a refreshing snack that provides similar nutrients to plain low-fat milk. It is also fortified with vitamins A and D.
You can use chocolate milk in coffee instead of adding chocolate sauce and plain milk separately.